Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Blisters
Sara has officially found her fingers! It has definitely been a blessing but now has turned into a curse. About a week ago she started sucking on her fingers, randomly changing hands and which two she preferred. Well in the last two days she has decided that she exclusively likes her pointer and middle finger on her left hand. It has been awesome! She soothes herself to sleep and has since slept for five nights in a row for 10-11 hours in a ROW...yep, count em, 10 hours!!! It has been a miracle. We tried the pacifier for months on end in hopes that she would take it but with no luck. Now, she can even soothe herself in her carseat sometimes, so she doesn't always scream bloody murder...just sometimes. Well, that streak of sleep has now come to an end :-( Yesterday I noticed there were little blisters on the cuticle of her two fingers...ouchy, she sucks REALLY hard! Then last night after finally getting her to sleep (she was quite fussy, but with good reason) she woke up screaming. This was a different type of scream, an I'M IN PAIN scream. I tried nursing her, which ALWAYS works, but nope, she kept on screaming. I looked down at her little fingers and they were bright red and now the blisters looked infected...poor little girl. Ryan and I worked for 1 1/2 hours to get her back to sleep but she cried buckets of tears. We finally resorted to Tylenol which did the trick after about an hour. She woke a few more times so this morning I brought her to the doctors. We have to put an antibiotic ointment on her fingers and put her hand in a little mitten for about a week. UGH...there goes her self soothing hand. I think I'm going to try the pacifier again, or hopefully she'll make do with the other hand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Poor little thing. That is some strong sucking. I was just about to say how jealous I was about the 10 hours of sleep but it looks like that may not be the case. I hope she returns quickly to her sleeping ways (and lets Zach in on her secret).
And happy belated birthday! If we don't get this sleeping thing under control by my birthday I am copying you and requesting a night at a hotel of uninterrupted sleep as my gift.
Post a Comment