Sunday, January 24, 2010

Are We Having Fun Yet?

I can literally count on one hand how many times Sara has been sick in her life.  I think she must take after me though.  She doesn't get sick often but when she does she gets SICK! (Or at least how I used to be, now I seem to get EVERYTHING!) She's only had one "normal" cold and then the Swine Flu and now it appears that she has RSV.  I used to think it was similar to a common cold and more dangerous when they're infants, which it can be.  Well, my opinion has now changed. RSV is no joke!  This is by far much worse then the Swine Flu.  It is down right scary.  Sara has been absolutely miserable since Tuesday. 




She started with a random wet cough and as the day progressed the faucet nose started running and hasn't stopped.  I can handle a runny nose and cough but her little lungs started sounding worse and worse. I broke down and took her into the doctor on Friday where as I suspected she was wheezing.  Therefore, he started her on a nebulizer and told me to closely monitor her.  He said not to let her get upset because she can go into bronchial spasms. OK, that's really easy when you have a sick little one.  Needless to say, she FREAKED OUT when I tried to do the nebulizer the first time.  The little fish face mask didn't even help.  Ryan was at work so I actually went down to my neighbors who has two little kids and DeeDee, our "acting" Grandma, was down there too, and we all sang songs to her while I did the treatment.  HA! It was a classic moment and I am so grateful to have such great neighbors.  Since then, she must know that it makes her feel better, she has been a champ and is kind of mesmerized by the steam going into her mouth.




Overall, she has been absolutely miserable.  She cried and cried and cried some more. No matter what we did, we held her, put her down, brought her outside, watched Baby Einstein, you name it we tried it.  It has been so sad and so hard to watch her like this.  She hasn't slept through the night since last weekend and has been waking up at least 10 times a night.  She has only slept for 20 minutes at a time for a nap because she just couldn't get comfortable, or breathe for that matter.   

Classic parenting moment this morning.  After we put her down for bed last night she was coughing like crazy and few times it sounded  like she was gagging but we could monitor her on the video and she seemed ok.  I went in and turned her a/c off (yes, we have to use a/c right now, seriously, when are we going to get a winter?!) and everything seemed fine. She woke up a few more times last night but put herself back to sleep, which was an improvement over the previous nights.  This morning I went in to get her and I had an overwhelming smell that made my eyes water.  Throw up! UGH!  It was so nasty. I got her out of the crib and she was smiling and the happiest she's been all week.  Even with crusty vomit stuck in her hair!!!  So nasty!  We gave her 2 baths and washed her four times and it still stinks! 





So good news for now is that she seems to be on the mend.  She's got a long ways to go but today was an improvement for the first time in 5 days.  She took an hour and 15 minute nap!  And she is starting to run around again.  So here's hoping that her lungs and nose start to clear up soon.  As for Ryan and I, we're miserable.  We both have it now and my lungs are so bad that I've been contemplating an ER visit but am trying to hold off until I can get into the doctor tomorrow. The vog is so incredibly bad right now that I think that's what's making my breathing so labored.  It's amazing how you can just push through in order to make sure you're little girl is taken care of.  Tomorrow's Monday so I'm counting on feeling better and having a good week!






This picture was before she got sick.  Her Memere made this cute beanie for her and she was so proud to wear it!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you forgot to mention that our dog decided to shit and vomit all over the house (ALL OVER THE HOUSE) and that our AC is on the fritz...and we have the WORSE VOG I have seen in years!!! I feel like we are locked in a sauna where the village dumps their trash and we have no hope of ever getting out.

-Ryan

Michelle Simmons said...

UGH> hang in there you guys!! Let me know if you need any help!

Angela and David said...

This all sounds absolutely miserable. I will not complain about Zach's cold because it sounds like we are very lucky to just have a cold. Glad Sara is feeling better and hope you and Ryan start to recover as well.

Fennells said...

poor pumpkin and poor ypu! i'll think of vog when i look out at our windy, icy, rainy day... hang in there you guys!

Carly B. said...

So sad! :( You guys are having a rough few weeks... really glad she's on the mend and hopefully you both will start feeling better too. We woke up this am to poo and throwup throughout our downstairs too. No idea what our dog was into. Gotta love it. ;) Sending you good energy to get through this crazy time! - Carly

Beach Mom said...

How is Sara doing? Hope she's on the mend.