Saturday, February 6, 2010

Back in the Saddle

Wow, I feel like an athlete again, for the time being. I've actually gotten in good workouts for FIVE days in a row! It's a miracle. My new philosophy is to workout hard during the days that I'm actually healthy to make up for the weeks I'm sick. This morning Ryan and I got to go for our first "real" ride together since having Sara. We road while in Washington last summer but on borrowed bikes and it wasn't a really hard ride (although I'm sure Ryan would say today wasn't hard either :-). Today our awesome neighbor watched Sara for us so we could ride together. We road the route that used to be an "easy" recovery ride, the Hanauma Bay, Hawaii Kai loop. When we were in the throws of training we would do this ride as a short easy ride. Let's just say that today did not feel like an easy ride for me. I'm so out of shape it's ridiculous but it felt so wonderful to be at that threshold of pain where your legs feel like they're going to fly off your body. All of the rides I've been doing lately have been by myself, they're shorter but they just seem like they take forever. Today flew by and it was great. The winds were barely there and it was sunny and HOT. My heart rate reached levels I haven't seen in a long time and my legs felt great, in a sick sort of way. I tried to talk Ryan into stopping at a few spots to take a picture but he didn't seem to hear me (aka: he didn't want to stop!) so we finally got a shot on the way back at Makapu'u. It was such a gorgeous morning. We missed our fellow training buddies, the Fennell's, and thought of our many training rides with them!





This afternoon we did something we haven't done in many years, since before we moved to Hawaii in fact. We went to the driving range and hit golf balls. Ryan went during his lunch last week with a few of his co-workers so he suggested the idea today. I used to be a decent golfer back in the day, when I had free time in college. I gave it up when we moved here because it was so expensive and it takes WAY TOO LONG to play. I would much rather be doing something more active than playing a round of golf, but it was actually quite fun laughing at ourselves while trying to hit balls. Sara got a kick out of it too.





Then we went to the beach on base and let Sara get pounded by the waves. I swear the harder the waves hit her the more she likes it. She's crazy! Tomorrow I have a run/swim on tap with my friend and fellow training partner Heather!

I bought Sara a pair of rain boots at Old Navy the other day because they were too cute to pass up. Not that we've had much rain this winter, in fact we got some of the only rain of the winter this past week and it was fabulous! I love that fresh rain smell. She found the infamous Halloween hat again and insisted on wearing it. She hasn't quite figured out the boots yet. She keeps saying "on" and then I put them on and she stands up and then says "off Mama". Her new favorite words are "up", as in I want up on the couch. "Down" if I'm holding her or she wants help going down the stairs. And "out" when she wants out of her carseat or any other device that's restraining her or if she wants to go outside, which is ALL the time.



And this is a random picture from the other day. She was really into putting her carrots on her head. And you'll notice that she's trying to dye her hair purple with the blueberries and beets she was eating. Priceless.


I love this picture!


Sorry for the randomness but I like to post pictures for the future especially since I've been so bad about keeping a baby book or printing pictures for that matter. Hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend!

3 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

Awsome! It was a perfect today to ride yesterday... Today too!! :) Glad you had a good one. And those pics if Sara are super cute, as always.

Beach Mom said...

Love the pictures!

Fennells said...

We miss you guys too! You'll be out riding Sierra Hts in no time I'm sure! I was thinking of that Hawaii Kai loop while running in 14 degrees (with the windchill) yesterday afternoon.

Sara is so darn cute! She is looking more and more grown up. I can't wait to give her a squeeze! Won't be long now!