Sunday, February 7, 2010

Pay it Forward

The craziest thing happened to me today. During the Super Bowl, which I only care about watching the commercials anyways, I decided to run to the grocery store. Ryan wanted some beer and I wanted some ice cream (nice and healthy of us), so I figured that during the Super Bowl it would be empty. I was wrong. I raced through and grabbed our junk and went to the checkout line. The checker rang up everything and I reached in my purse...doh! I forgot my wallet which I had put in my swim bag earlier in the day. No checks, no cash, and no credit cards. Dang! The gal who was in line behind me said I've got it. The checker and I both said no I don't need your Safeway card I forgot my wallet. I told the checker that I was sorry but I'd have to come back later...I was so embarrased and pissed at myself at this point. The lady behind me was pushing into me and saying I've got it, I've got it. Don't worry about it. No, I said adamently, I'm not letting you pay for this, it was $38 (I got a few other odds and ends)! She got stern and said, "Pay it forward" and all I could think of was that movie which was out a few years back. It felt like I was in my own movie. It was kind of surreal, that some stranger wanted to pay for my groceries. She said she wanted to do this and seriously pushed me out of the store! Tears were starting to well up in my eyes because I was so stressed for not having my wallet and then having a stranger pay for all of my groceries for me. I left the store and stood outside waiting for her. She came out and I ran up to her and tried to get her number or address so I could send her some money. She laughed and smiled and said Pay It Forward again and ran off to her car. Wow, it was such a neat experience to have someone do this for me and makes me want to run out and do it for someone else! It still feels kind of like I was in the movie myself. It definitely made my day! So the next time someone is needing some help, I'll be there and Pay It Forward!

4 comments:

Angela and David said...

Very cool! It didn't even happen to me but I feel like I need to Pay It Forward now.

Michelle Simmons said...

Oh that IS cool. :)

Alicia Parr said...

Wow. I'm sure you'll come up with a great way to pay it forward.

N.D. said...

THat is so cool and keeps me thinking of ways that I can help others. That happened to me once (forgot all money) and had to call Bill to bring me it!