Monday, February 15, 2010

Whales!

Last week we decided to take a quick trip over to Maui for the long weekend. It did not disappoint. I love Maui, especially this time of year because the Humpback whales are EVERYWHERE. They are such an amazing mammal. The coolest thing about them (besides watching them breech, and slap their tails, and blow water out of their spout) is when they're in close to the shore you can dive down and hear them singing their songs. The first time we heard it we thought they sounded like aliens. It's a very distinctive sound and it's amazing. While we were at dinner the first evening there were about five of them giving us a show right off shore. It was almost like they were acting like dolphins, all in a row diving up and down. I didn't get any of them breaching on video but you can see them blowing their spouts. The Pirates of the Caribbean boat (I guess they're filming it right now) was also driving by at the same time.




The trip started off a little rough. We timed the flight in order to get Sara down for a nap. Unfortunately a flat tire on the plane kind of ruined that plan. We were 2.5 hours late and Sara was so tired that by the time we got her to the condo she just wouldn't take a nap. I think she was a little scared in a new place, especially now that she knows what's going on. She adapted and we had a good time the rest of the trip.


The last morning we went exploring and found a new beach. I can't believe we had never been here before after all the years we've been going to Maui. It was absolutely perfect for Sara and the conditions couldn't have been better. It's was about waste deep all the way out to the outer reef and the water was crystal clear. There were little coral heads with beautiful reef fish so I got to swim around for a while and Sara motored behind me with her floaties.



Ryan turned me into a mermaid and Sara thought it was pretty cool :-)


That's Lanai in the background.




She insisted on wearing her bright orange Crocs while we were at the beach. She's also really into putting her face in the water but she hasn't quite figured out that you're not supposed to drink the water.





Valentine's Day


Wearing mommy's running shoes



3 comments:

Beach Mom said...

I love the Mermaid picture! There is something about the pic of Sara drinking from the straw- she looks so grown up! Glad you had a fun trip.

Fennells said...

those pics are great! She just gets cuter and cuter. Love the one where you both have plumeria! You are so right about how awesome the whales are. I will never forget the time you guys took us to hear them. Amazing. I can't believe we'll be hanging out with you all so soon!!!!!

Fennells said...

finally got the videos to work. i can't wait for kai and sara to play on the beach!