Friday, October 2, 2009

Updates

Wow, it's been too long since we last posted. We went to Kona last Wednesday for a long weekend, Memere and Grandpa were in town until today, Sara had her 1 year check up, and she's been pretty sick. Whew, I have a free moment to write some updates.


Our trip to Big Island was great, albeit I wouldn't consider it relaxing by any means. Traveling with a one year old is not easy. Not to mention all of the STUFF we had to bring, even the daily routine is more challenging. I should have taken a picture of the makeshift room we made for Sara. Seeing that she has only ever slept in her own room and wakes up fairly easy, we were in for a challenge because we stayed in a two bedroom condo with Ryan's parents. There was a little alcove between the bathroom and bedroom so Ryan had me buy a shower curtain rod at Walmart and he hung up a thick blanket to create a "room" for her. She could still hear us but couldn't see us. It ended up working out pretty well but we forgot that we kicked her out of our room at 4 days old because she makes so much noise in her sleep.


It was fun to be in Kona before the big Ironman World Championship race. The last time we were here was when Ryan was racing in 2007. It has such a great energy and it felt like it was starting to rev up with the athletes starting to show up. We took a run on Alii Drive and swam the bouys at the pier. I'm sure Ryan was having flash backs. We tried to swim at Hapuna Beach where the the Ironman 70.3 Honu race was held. When we swam for the race, the bay was completely flat and crystal clear. We figured it would be a great place for Sara to play. We got there and the surf was huge! So we went body surfing and Sara crawled around the beach. She would have loved to have gotten in the water but the current was much too strong. It's funny how before you have kids you don't really realize kid friendly things. I guess we didn't notice that there are very FEW sandy, kid friendly beaches in Kona. We made due though and our condo had a pool so we spent some time there too. Unfortunately we didn't take very many pictures of the trip. Here are a few and a video of the "baby launcher".













1 year update:


I took Sara in for her 1 year checkup on Tuesday. She's doing great as usual. She weighs 21 pounds 2 oz, which is 50%. She's actually 50-75% for height at 29.5 inches tall. She may end up taking after her dad as far as height goes. I thought she'd be a shorty like me...guess we'll have to wait and see. I've been himming and hawing about whether to give her a flu shot this season. I have only gotten one in my life and I was sick the entire year. Now I realize that is was likely a coincidence but it really stunk. Since we already had influenza this summer, which I just found out was the Swine Flu (crazy!!), I decided to give her the influenza shot. Boy do I regret it now. Poor thing has been so sick! She had a fever that afternoon but the next night she woke up at 10 pm crying and moaning. It was not normal. I went in to get her and she was BURNING up! Her temp was 102.7 in her ear and I didn't even have it all the way in. She was shaking and almost convulsing. We were extremely worried so I made a call to the doctor. We had to double dose her with Tylenol and a higher dose of Motrin. He said it was likely from the flu shot...nice. She's been out of sorts and crabby since then. Again, it could be a coincidence and she's fighting something else but I feel really bad! She's supposed to get the second dose in a month but now I'm really hesitant to give it to her. I feel like a bad parent, even though I am trying to protect her. This evening she started to seem like herself again so hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

1 comment:

Angela and David said...

That sounds terribly scary about Sara. Hope she's feeling better. It's so hard when they can't tell you what's going on. You feel so helpless.

Sounds like a great trip to Kona. Hoepfully I'll be there next year!