Sunday, October 18, 2009

Splash and Dash

Yesterday morning I got up bright and early and did a local biathlon called the Splash and Dash (500m swim and a 5k run). It was totally spur of the moment (I decided the night before) and it ended up being really fun. My good friend, fellow mommy, and training partner, Heather, did it as well so it was a fun social outing too. I had a pretty good race, although not running for a year and half really takes its toll when you try to run hard in a race and the first half of the race is uphill. I ended up finishing 3rd in my age group and Heather finished 2nd in hers! The best part was that Ryan and Sara were there! I didn't think they'd show up because it started at 7am and we don't usually get her out of bed until around 7ish. Ryan got her out early and as I came out of the water, there they were! It made getting to the finish line a little more inspiring!

Here's Sara helping Daddy push the Bob!


She's yelling, "Go Mommy!"

The finish line was really cool because we got to run through the hangar on the Marine Corp Base. The helicopters were all lined up and we ran through the middle of them. The funniest thing happened just before entering the hangar. I could hear a guy huffing and puffing behind me for the last half mile of the race. It turned out to be a big Marine and I know he DIDN'T want to get beat by a girl. He comes flying by me as we get close to the finish. The next thing you know, he starts heaving and slows up so of course I have to speed up. He was seriously determined to beat me and speeds up again but I pushed it a little harder and made sure he didn't beat me! HEHEHE! (The funny part is that the men started 2 minutes before us so I would have beat him either way, but it felt good to get my competitive streak back!)

Heather, Sara and I at the finish!

My sweet little girl!


Today we took a family surf trip to White Plains beach. It was so much fun because I got to catch a bunch of waves while Ryan played with Sara and then we switched. Our friends and neighbors were also there with their kids! What a fun weekend.


In other news, our dear friends, Greg, Louise, and Kai added a new addition to their family today. She was 6 days overdue and anxious to have her baby (which I can relate to!!) and today was the day that their daughter, Teia Autumn Fennell, decided to enter the world!!! Congrats to them!

2 comments:

Angela and David said...

Great job at the race. It sounds like a lot of fun and nice job chicking that marine. I always find it easier to push hard on the run when I know Zach is there waiting for me at the end. I wish she and Zach could get together, she looks like she can really give him a run for his money.

Fennells said...

Go Kel! Wish I could have done it with you. LOVE Sara's outfit...too cute! Now that we have a little girl, she can dress like that too! ;-) Sounds like a great w/e. Makes me miss Hawaii. Say hi to Heather and thanks for the wishes for Teia. She seems to be a bit of a feisty one. We might be in for it!!!