Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Foreign Language

Sara has recently created a new language. In the last few days she's really developing her "language" skills. I think she's developed her own dialect. It's got a little African tribe mixed in with some English here and there. Her new favorite word is "dat". This could be interpreted as that, door, tree, or even dad. Sometimes she is so adamant about something and looks at me like, "Mom don't you know what I'm saying?". Then there's "dah" which usually means dog but can also mean duck. My favorite is her gibberish where she carries on a LONG conversation with me and includes a few tongue clicks and "shishing" through her new teeth. We've been working on her sign language which hasn't quite materialized into anything yet. I have a feeling it will come in really handy as she's developing her English skills because I can already see the frustration when she wants or needs something and I don't understand what that is. Mental note, work on sign language now!

Yesterday I took her to the park with her little walker and let her cruise around the sidewalks. She was in heaven, although her driving skills need a little work. She got her first bloody knee but she hopped back up after a little crying and was back at it. She's still not interested in walking on her own but she sure can cruise around quickly.
And speaking of quick, I don't know how she can be so darn fast on her hands and knees.

And speaking of quick, I don't know how she can be so darn fast on her hands and knees. Her new favorite activity is to wait until I'm not looking for an instant and crawl over to Tyla's water bowl (which is above the ground at a perfect height for her to stand) and splash as much water out of it as she can. Meanwhile she squeals with delight really loudly. Poor Tyla doesn't have water for most of the day.

In other good news, I went for my first "real" run in almost 15 months today! I only went 3 miles and I think I'll be sore tomorrow but it was pure bliss!!

1 comment:

Angela and David said...

Congrats on the run! I'm always amazed by Zach's crawling speed as well. And how is it that they already know what they aren't supposed to be doing it and find it so fun to do exactly that? Sounds like Zach is speaking a very similar language. Maybe they can communicate with one another.