Sunday, November 14, 2010

Winter Riding

Today was my first road ride since my injury and it felt so incredibly good! It's been 3 1/2 months since my last ride and let's just say the conditions are a little different. My last ride was on August 1, the day I actually broke my foot and it was HOT! I was laughing to myself today as I put three layers on, including a cycling beanie, two pairs of gloves, long winter pants, booties and a rain coat. But I must say I was actually quite comfortable, besides my legs screaming at me that they haven't been worked in a while. We're definitely having to adapt to the difference in weather and the fact that it's getting dark at 4:30, and it's not even December 21st yet!! I was debating on riding this morning because when I woke up it was 40 degrees, drizzling, and foggy. It warmed up to 48 and I decided to head out. (I'm sure many of you would laugh at how many clothes I had on when it was 48 degrees). That is a far cry from last year when I'd complain it was cold when it was in the low 70s. HA! It's all about adapting around here...and buying lots of warm gear. It felt so good to be out there. I felt like I was the only one outside braving the elements and it was so peaceful to have no one around. It was just what I needed!


Ryan on the other hand has done a few road rides too but has also been paddling his paddle board in the frigid waters! He did a point to point paddle on Saturday afternoon with the water temp in the 40s and air temp low 40s too. Um, brrr! Adapt and overcome, that's our new motto!


We're in serious need of a haircut. Mommy just has to let go of the baby curls. I figure for now it's keeping her warm.



A new beach we just discovered.








2 comments:

Angela and David said...

That's great that you have finally been able to get out again. That must have felt awesome.

And paddling in those temps sounds cerifiably insane to me.

Fennells said...

Glad you guys are "adapting!" Those pics of Sara are adorable! I miss the northwest so much!