This past weekend Ryan and I got back on the saddle for some running races. Mine was much less significant then Ryan's but it felt awesome to be out there! I've started running a little bit over last month or two, mostly trail running because my foot isn't quite ready for pavement pounding. Honestly, it's probably not ready for any pounding but heck, if I can shuffle, I can run. I'm not sure what my longest run/shuffle has been because of all the trails I've been doing, probably 3 or 4 miles. It's crazy how I can go for almost an hour on the trails and get a great workout but not have the pain I do on the road. Maybe all the ups and downs and traverses keeps my mind off my foot. So when I saw there was a 5 mile Tulip Run on Saturday I figured why not. I wasn't sure I could run that far yet (I know, it's kind of pitiful) but decided to give it a try. I honestly thought I'd have to walk a lot of it to give my foot a break (no literally). I was shooting to finish under an hour...seriously. The positive on coming back from an injury is that you can only get faster, right!? Ryan, Sara, and I headed up to Burlington (40 minutes drive) on Saturday morning and the weather was windy and chilly. Not bad for running, not so fun watching a two year old. I waved bye to them as I headed out and then spent then next 48 minutes enjoying the heck out of myself. The course was mostly off road on a gravel/dirt trail and only about a mile on the road so it worked perfect. I started off REALLY slow, 10:40 mile, and my foot felt pretty good so I picked up the pace a little bit, actually I got extremely annoyed with people and decided I couldn't follow them anymore. The whole competitive nature still flows even when I'm running like a turtle. It was fun game to try not to let anyone pass me from mile 2 to the finish. It wasn't too difficult seeing how slow I started. It's kind of an ego boost when you get to pass a bunch of people though. And I realize how in 'cardio' shape I am compared to others that were running my speed. You wouldn't believe the huffing and puffing, and grunting and gagging you hear from the back of the packers at the end of a race. Needless to say, it was a very entertaining race. I finished the last mile in about 8 minutes which was hauling for me! The best part was we all got a fresh tulip when we crossed the line. Unfortunately, Ryan missed the finish because Sara was refusing to get out of the car because she was watching Dora. She was in a less than pleasant mood :-) I was extremely sore yesterday which is pretty humorous for how long the race was but I actually kind of enjoyed the pain :-) Pre-race, someone was a little grumpy, and it wasn't me!

Sara had an eventful weekend of running races. "What's a running race, momma?". "Why's daddy running a marathon momma?" "When do we get to see daddy?" These are few of the zillion questions Sara asked yesterday. Let's just say she has an inquisitive little personality. Boy does she LOVE to ask questions these days. We woke up to howling winds in the morning and new Ryan was out there running already. It was calling for 20 mph winds and 80% chance of rain in the morning. Thankfully they were wrong about the rain but unfortunately they were also wrong about the wind, it was more like 30-40 mph. It was crazy out there. The race finished about 1.5 miles from our house at the local park but it started about 18 miles north so Ryan drove down early and took the shuttle. Sara and slept in and then walked down to the finish. I was tempted to drive and sit in our car but figured since he was suffering we might as well too, and my legs could use some loosening up. Mile 18 ran through the park and then they headed out (and up) for 8 more before finishing. We were expecting him at around 2:25 so when he came through at 2:15 I was shocked. He was averaging about 7:20 min pace which was well faster then he anticipated. (He's running another marathon on Saturday so he was 'supposed' to take it easy) He looked great and had a smile on his face. Not to be a pessimist, but I knew that wouldn't last long :-) Just after he saw us is where it got really hilly (what's up with the race directors, ouch?!) and he hit the wall. He tells the story better but I guess the guy he was running with was dragging him along and trying to get him to go with him (he has run numerous sub 3s and was shooting for a 3:15 it turns out, once he heard that, he knew he was in trouble :-). He still ended up finishing in 3:42 which is a great time! Especially considering it was blowing like crazy! He was bummed because had he run an 8:30 pace the whole time he still would have finished in 3:42 and probably not have hurt so bad...doh!
Here he is at mile 18. This is the only picture I managed to get, somehow I took three of the guy in front of him...oops. And I didn't get any pictures of Sara bundled up in the jogger, she was nice and toasty.
Finishing

Finished! He was fifth local finisher!

He finished his day off with a nice and comfortable ice bath! Yeeouch! And a beer.
Now it's time for a 'quick' recovery before his marathon in Wenatchee this Saturday. Nobody ever said he was smart just crazy!
And Miss Sara on her favorite pink scooter
Here's a little quote from Facebook from him: "Truth be told I was a little disappointed with this race - I saw my PR race flashing in my mind. I was on track to run a 3:15 when along came mile 18. The course was hilly in the beginning, flat in the middle, and hilly in the end. The last set of hills just did me in. Oh well. Maybe one day I will get a better idea of what pacing yourself is all about. Until then I will just continue to beat the snot out of myself."
3 comments:
Welcome back to racing! It sounds like you did great. And Zach wouldn't have gotten out of the car if Dora was on either. I understand that battle.
And I love that Ryan was upset that he would have run the same time if he'd run 8:30s and he'd hurt considerably less. Too funny.
Yay Hatfields!! Glad spring has sprung and everyone is healthy for running. I'll live vicariously through you so enjoy it. Miss you guys.
Way to go you guys! Can't wait to hear about this weekend's race!
Post a Comment